Thursday 19 April 2012

Cheat's Hoisin Chicken Stir Fry

Just a quick post to share the recipe for the yummy stir fry I made this evening. When I started uni I assumed I'd be eating pasta constantly but I've actually ended up making stir fries more often, probably because they're so easy to vary and most vegetables and meat work really nicely. They're also so quick to make whilst still being healthy so there's no excuse for slacking on cooking during the week.

I love Hoisin sauce and ended up experimenting one day when we didn't have any in the cupboard - flavour-wise it seems like a Chinese barbecue sauce to me, so I added some five spice and a splash of soy sauce to some ordinary barbecue sauce and ended up with a similar flavour. Not quite as good as the real thing, but a good make-do when you don't have any in (and cheaper too!)

All the amounts are approximate, I don't bother too much with exact quantities with things like this, so adapt according to taste! This serves two people.
Add oil to a wok, along with 2-3 crushed cloves of garlic, some chopped ginger, and a sliced onion. Add some chilli if you like (I use Very Lazy Chillies out of a jar).
Chop chicken into small equal pieces (pork goes well with the sauce too) and add to the wok. After a couple of minutes add any vegetables you fancy.
Meanwhile, cook noodles according to pack instructions, and make the sauce: In a bowl, add 1 tablespoon of honey, 2-3 tablespoons of barbecue sauce, 2-3 tablespoons of soy sauce, and half a teaspoon of Chinese 5 spice powder (feel free to add more, I'm not a huge fan of the aniseed taste it has so I don't use that much). The sauce is quite thick so add a splash of water to achieve the consistency you want.
When the chicken is almost cooked through, add the sauce to the wok and let it bubble for a few minutes. Add the noodles to the pan and toss together so the sauce evenly coats everything. Check the chicken is cooked through, and serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...