Thursday 25 September 2014

Women of Intention

I wanted to share some of the ladies in rock who are fairly new on the scene and have been playing on repeat for me recently, but then it got kinda difficult to narrow it down to just a few. There are so many bad ass women in music at the moment, broadcasting their talent through amazing songs and mind blowing shows. During the difficult events occurring as we struggle towards a world where gender equality is the norm, involving sometimes confusing and sometimes sad and disheartening moments, it's inspiring to know that their are women who are doing exactly what they want on their terms. And of course, making bloody brilliant music while they're at it.

Deap Vally



If you haven't checked out Deap Vally's debut album 'Sistrionix' then you really need to get on it. I'd been hearing about this band last year around festival season; their names kept cropping up alongside the likes of Queens of the Stone Age and Jack White. I looked them up on YouTube and instantly fell in love. If you want raw, straight to the point, bluesy rock then these two women have got it covered. I saw them live last year at the Basement, Rock City, and it was such a fun show - I'll definitely be at their next one. For these gals the music speaks for itself so give them a listen.


The Beaches



I saw The Beaches earlier this year as they opened up for Brody Dalle on her UK tour and they're probably one of the best support acts I've seen. I picked up their EP after the gig and they've since released another one, both of which I love. Despite their young age these girls are seriously good live and write really great, catchy rock songs.


Rouge


Rouge are a band from London who I discovered on Twitter through being a fan of Deap Vally. I think they messaged me saying I might like their stuff and they were right! They write blues-inspired rock songs with gorgeous vocals and I'm looking forward to hearing more from these guys.


And I can't do this post without mentioning Brody Dalle


She's not new to the music world - she fronted the Distillers and Spinnerette - but only came out with her first record under her own name this year. She's matured and branched out in terms of her sound but is still that punk rocker I was first inspired by back in the Distillers. Brody is definitely one of those women who is not afraid to express herself and stick up for what she thinks is right. Basically, she's amazing and I love her. 


I'm gonna shut up now so you can check out some of my favourite ladies in rock.
Any recommendations you have for other musicians please let me know, I'm always on the lookout for new music! :) 
*photos of The Beaches & Rouge taken from their sites

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...